Woman in hospital after house fire in Clanton - WAFF-TV: News, Weather and Sports for Huntsville, AL

Woman in hospital after house fire in Clanton

Posted: Updated:

One person is in critical condition after a fire broke out at a residence in Clanton Saturday morning. 

At approximately 12:15 AM, Clanton 911 received a call of a fire at 120 12th Street South.  First responders and neighbors reported hearing several loud explosions coming from the home.

61-Year Old Lorna Wright was found badly burned and transported to UAB Hospital by helicopter. 

While in transit by ambulance to the landing zone, Wright reportedly told medics that she had taken her oxygen off to smoke a cigarette when the fire began.

Following containment, firefighters discovered several oxygen bottles located near the apparent source of the fire, as well as two bottles that had apparently ruptured from the heat, likely causing the explosions.

The fire is still under investigation at this time, but no criminal activity is suspected.

Powered by WorldNow

1414 North Memorial Parkway
Huntsville, AL 35801
256-533-4848

WAFF Is a Proud Member
of the Raycom Family of Stations


FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WAFF. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.