Fire official: 6 year old starts fire in bedroom - WAFF-TV: News, Weather and Sports for Huntsville, AL

Fire official: 6 year old starts fire in bedroom

Posted: Updated:
Four people were displaced. Four people were displaced.
MADISON, AL (WAFF) -

A trailer fire in Monrovia left four people without a home Saturday.

Firefighters responded to the home on Lynch Road just after 10:20 a.m. Heavy smoke and flames were visible.

The fire was knocked out within minutes.

One woman suffered minor burns. HEMSI treated her at the scene. 

Investigators said a 6-year-old was playing with a cigarette lighter in his mother's bedroom. He lit paper on fire and when he couldn't get the flame out, threw the paper on the bed.

The bed caught fire. The mother was in the bed when the fire started and was burned.

The master bedroom sustained serious damage and the rest of the home sustained smoke damage.

Four people were displaced. Red Cross responded to assist them.    

Copyright 2013, WAFF. All rights reserved. 
Powered by WorldNow

1414 North Memorial Parkway
Huntsville, AL 35801
256-533-4848

WAFF Is a Proud Member
of the Raycom Family of Stations


FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WAFF. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.