Wednesday, June 19 2013 3:34 AM EDT2013-06-19 07:34:21 GMT
A fire damaged a Florence plan early Wednesday morning. Investigators said all workers were accounted for, after the fire at the Fiberex plant on Parkway Drive. Investigators told WAFF 48's Marie WaxelMore >>
Investigators are looking for the cause of a fire that damaged a Florence plan early Wednesday morning.More >>
Tuesday, June 18 2013 10:56 PM EDT2013-06-19 02:56:14 GMT
Under the Accountability Act, parents can get tax credits worth about $3,500 annually if they choose to send their child to a private school. More >>
Parents discuss their child's academic future after the state releases list that reveals nine schools in North Alabama are considered failing schools.More >>
NASHVILLE, TN (WSMV) -
Hundreds of students at a north Nashville charter school returned to class Thursday for the first time since dozens of them got sick from carbon monoxide poisoning earlier this week.
Officials at Drexel Prep Academy, located at 4481 Jackson Rd., said Monday the school's heating system malfunctioned, leaking fumes into the building and sending more than 40 students to the hospital.
The Channel 4 I-Team discovered there are no carbon monoxide detectors at any school in Metro Nashville Public Schools, because Tennessee state law doesn't require them.
However, after what happened at her school, Drexel's principal says that should change and it has led to a number of new additions in her classrooms.
Children and teachers at Drexel will now hear an alarm in their rooms should there ever be another carbon monoxide leak at their school.
"OSHA came in. They checked the levels, but our all-clear came from the Tennessee Health Department," said Drexel Principal Dr. Cheryl Bowman.
Before Monday, Drexel had carbon monoxide detectors, but they were not located in the classrooms where the children got sick. Those alarms sounded, but it wasn't until hours after the school had already been evacuated when officials originally believed the students were sick with the flu.
More than 40 students were admitted to Vanderbilt Children's Hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning, where they spent the next 23 hours hooked up to oxygen tanks as a precaution.
"Accidents do happen, but we do feel we are prepared in the event that this or something different happens," Bowman said.
The principal also said Drexel has since used its own money to install 15 new detectors throughout the school, and the broken heating unit has been replaced.
An open house is set for 6 p.m. Thursday at the school, during which parents can get a chance to see the new changes for themselves.
As for other Metro schools, a spokesperson told the Channel 4 I-Team they use monitors to do random carbon monoxide checks at their schools, and school heating units are inspected annually.
But it remains to be seen whether or not Metro will install carbon monoxide detectors in each of its schools. School leaders said they will discuss the issue.
Copyright 2013 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.