Firefighters: Fire likely caused by space heater - WAFF-TV: News, Weather and Sports for Huntsville, AL

Firefighters: Fire likely caused by space heater

ATHENS, AL (WAFF) -

An early morning fire in Limestone County destroyed a mobile home and sent one man to the hospital.

Owens Volunteer Fire Department and another department responded to the fire around 5 a.m. at 18507 Townsend Ford Road in Athens. The home was fully engulfed.

According to a neighbor, a man and a woman lived in the home. The neighbor said the couple could not get out and had to break out a window to escape. The man was cut and suffered smoke inhalation.

He was transported to a local hospital and then taken to Vanderbilt.

Crews are still working to determine the cause of the fire, but firefighters said a space heater was likely the cause.

It is unclear if the woman suffered injuries.

Copyright 2012 WAFF. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly