West Nile victim has Alabama ties - WAFF-TV: News, Weather and Sports for Huntsville, AL

West Nile victim has Alabama ties

Bill Brady died after he was bitten by a mosquito while doing yard work . Bill Brady died after he was bitten by a mosquito while doing yard work .
ARAB, AL (WAFF) -

According to the Centers for Disease Control, 118 deaths across the country are being blamed for recent West Nile virus outbreak.

Bill Brady recently died of West Nile virus, his daughter-in-law, Pamela Taylor Brady is from Arab. She lives in Hilton, Oklahoma now, near Norman.

77-year-old Bill Brady was bitten by a mosquito while doing outdoor work. His family said he died within a few days. Pamela Brady said she and her family are pushing lawmakers to allocate the money, resources and research to develop better testing and a vaccine.

"We had several doctors tell us it would take large numbers of deaths from this disease for the pharmaceutical companies to come out with a vaccine or a medication to treat it after you develop the disease itself," Pamela said.

She works in a doctor's office and said it takes only 15 minutes to find out if you have the flu, but it still takes five to seven days to detect West Nile.

According to the Alabama Department of Public Health there has been a total of 12 confirmed human cases of West Nile virus in the state.

Copyright 2012 WAFF. All rights reserved.

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • Surprising cause of death in teen boating accident creates 'Raven's Rule'

    Surprising cause of death in teen boating accident creates 'Raven's Rule'

    Wednesday, May 24 2017 3:34 PM EDT2017-05-24 19:34:33 GMT

    16-year-old Raven Little-White died in August, after a boating accident on Lake Waccamaw. The medical examiner’s report lists “drowning” as the probable cause of death, but a toxicology report that came back later revealed Raven had actually succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning.

    More >>

    16-year-old Raven Little-White died in August, after a boating accident on Lake Waccamaw. The medical examiner’s report lists “drowning” as the probable cause of death, but a toxicology report that came back later revealed Raven had actually succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning.

    More >>
  • Video shows Midlands restaurant employee pulled by her hair

    Video shows Midlands restaurant employee pulled by her hair

    Friday, May 26 2017 5:41 PM EDT2017-05-26 21:41:50 GMT

    An employee of a popular restaurant at the Village at Sandhill is facing charges after authorities say he grabbed a server by her hair and pulled her to the ground. 

    More >>

    An employee of a popular restaurant at the Village at Sandhill is facing charges after authorities say he grabbed a server by her hair and pulled her to the ground. 

    More >>
  • Accidental drowning kills 20-year-old

    Accidental drowning kills 20-year-old

    Saturday, May 27 2017 6:30 PM EDT2017-05-27 22:30:20 GMT

    A body found on Biloxi Beach Saturday morning has been identified and the death has been ruled accidental.

    More >>

    A body found on Biloxi Beach Saturday morning has been identified and the death has been ruled accidental.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly