Kitchen fire destroys Moores Mill home - WAFF-TV: News, Weather and Sports for Huntsville, AL

Kitchen fire destroys Moores Mill home

HUNTSVILLE, AL (WAFF) -

An early morning kitchen fire destroyed a home in Moores Mill.

It broke out around 1:15 a.m. Monday at a house in the 5000 block of Iona Street.

The fire marshal on scene said the resident was cooking something in the oven, when he passed out from a medical condition. He woke up to find his home filled with smoke and was able to escape to a neighbor's house.

When firefighters first arrived on scene, flames were shooting through the roof.

Officials said the fire spread quickly from the kitchen to the rest of the house, damaging mostly everything, including a truck inside the garage.

The man suffered some minor injuries, but paramedics checked him out at the scene.

The Red Cross helped him to find a place to stay.

The fire marshal said the incident remains under investigation.

Copyright 2012 WAFF. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly