Wednesday, May 22 2013 5:52 PM EDT2013-05-22 21:52:16 GMT
The former Director of Marshall Space Flight Center was back in Huntsville Wednesday to take a look at a piece of hardware that could play an important role in the future of space exploration. Robert LightfootMore >>
The former director of Marshall Center stopped by to check on the progress made in an important project.More >>
HUNTSVILLE, AL (WAFF) -
Ceiling inspections were conducted this week at Sparkman Homes along Mason Ct. in Huntsville after a collapse Friday.
Three people were taken to the hospital with injuries. Huntsville's Housing Authority is inspecting the entire property.
Sharon Sashington was a in her second floor bedroom when the ceiling above came down on her, her cousin and sister.
"The ceiling fell on to my backside and was cutting into my leg," said Sashington.
One victim said she suffered a concussion; a fractured arm and another victim said she suffered broken bones in her neck and shoulder.
Sashington has lived in the housing unit since September and when she moved in the ceiling was in a bad condition but she mentioned she didn't complain because she was desperate for a place to live.
"You don't think you are living in a five star building so you put up with a few things," said Sashington.
Huntsville's Housing Authority said "general age" caused the plaster on the ceiling to fall. Inspectors were on the property Tuesday going through every unit to ensure everything was secured.
Sashington's Attorney Brent Jordan mentioned that the inspections are coming a little too late.
"It will be our contention that the city was negligent and failed to use reasonable care in keeping that unit in a safe and habitable condition," said Jordan.
Sashington's attorney said they plan on filing a claim against the City of Huntsville.