Anniston homicide suspect captured - WAFF-TV: News, Weather and Sports for Huntsville, AL

Anniston homicide suspect captured

Fred Boyd (photo source Anniston Police Department) Fred Boyd (photo source Anniston Police Department)
(photo source Dixon Hayes, WBRC) (photo source Dixon Hayes, WBRC)

A former Anniston police officer wanted in connection with two shootings early Monday morning in Anniston was captured late Monday morning in Mississippi.

Anniston police said Fred Boyd was captured just after 11 a.m. in Meridian, MS. He was being held in the custody of the Mississippi State Police and was said to be "cooperating." Sources confirm that Boyd has waived extradition from Mississippi, meaning he has agreed to willingly go with authorities from Mississippi back to Alabama.

Boyd was wanted in connection with a deadly shooting at his home on Chatwood Drive in Saks and another at his uncle's home in Hobson City earlier in the morning. 

Chief Deputy Matthew Wade with the Calhoun County Sheriff's Department said the first shooting happened at Boyd's home on Chatwood Drive in Saks around 7 a.m.  Anniston police said Boyd's wife Carmella was killed in that shooting. The second shooting happened about 15-20 minutes later at a home in Hobson City where Boyd's uncle lives. Wade said gunfire was exchanged at that location before Boyd fled the scene.

"Uncle says for the past couple of weeks he's been distraught, seems to be having some issues. They'd been talking with him but didn't have any arguments among them personally, so we're not sure why he tried to shoot at his uncle," Wade said.

Authorities say Boyd's uncle was not hurt during the shooting in Hobson City. He told police that Boyd was dressed in the security guard uniform he wore for his new job, and took off in a Chevy Yukon.

Anniston Police, on its Facebook page, said Boyd resigned as an officer of its department in August 2011. FOX6 News was told he had served in the department for more than 16 years.

The police department was placed on high alert all morning, with armed officers guarding the front doors of the building. Boyd's career ended abruptly last year.

"He resigned when he left, was not on the greatest of terms, and he did resign," Wade said.

Boyd's wife Carmella worked at the Oxford Walmart as a department manager for more than 20 years. Her co-workers say she will be greatly missed.

Copyright 2012 WBRC. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly