ABI investigates officer-involved shooting, suicide in Decatur

Stephen Cameron (Source: Decatur Police Department)
Stephen Cameron (Source: Decatur Police Department)
ABI is investigating a fatal shooting that happened in Decatur on Monday.
ABI is investigating a fatal shooting that happened in Decatur on Monday.

DECATUR, AL (WAFF) - One man is dead after a shooting at the 800 block of Woodall Road and Gordon Terry Parkway in Decatur.

Authorities said 52-year-old Stephen Dewayne Cameron shot and killed himself after wrecking his vehicle and exchanging gunfire with police on Monday.

Monday was his second run-in with police, and they said it ended with him shooting himself in the head.

On Sunday night, Cameron was arrested for nearly hitting a Decatur Police officer and a pedestrian with his car and having drugs on him. He was charged with reckless endangerment and possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia.

Monday afternoon, a car with Cameron behind the wheel spun out of control and landed in a ditch.

In no time, a passer-by, an officer just getting off duty after escorting a funeral procession, and a tow truck driver stopped to help.

"They approached the vehicle and that's when Mr. Cameron pointed a gun at one of the wrecker drivers and they ran away shouting, 'Gun! Gun!'" said Decatur Chief Ed Taylor.

The officer then approached Cameron and ordered him to drop his weapon.

"Mr. Cameron pointed the shotgun then at the officer, gunfire erupted. The officer fired at Cameron, and Cameron fired at the officer," said Taylor.

After several shots fired, Cameron is wounded at least once, but police believe it was a non-life-threatening injury.

Police said he then sat back in the car, and that's when he shot himself in the head.

Greg Hames rushed to scene after he heard his friend for the past 37 years was dead.

"I'm stunned," said Hames. "I don't really know the hows or whys, I don't really have any explanation for it."

Hames did say his friend just lost his stepfather and had been out of work for some time.

The body was sent off for an autopsy.

The Alabama Bureau of Investigation took over the case, which is normal procedure when an officer discharges his weapon.

Copyright 2012 WAFF. All rights reserved.