Monday, May 20 2013 12:18 PM EDT2013-05-20 16:18:28 GMT
Early-morning commuters ran into a traffic jam in South Huntsville Monday morning after a dump truck took down fiber-optic lines. More >>
Early-morning commuters ran into a traffic jam in South Huntsville Monday morning after a dump truck took down fiber-optic lines.More >>
MONTGOMERY, AL — Governor Robert Bentley again urged the use of local contractors and workers as cleanup efforts from last week's tornadoes begin across the state.
"The contracting phase has begun to remove the debris left by Wednesday's storms", Governor Bentley said Thursday. "I am again strongly urging the Army Corp of Engineers and city and county governments to contract with Alabama companies and use Alabama workers in the clean up effort. As we proceed through this lengthy recovery process, I will be watching it very closely."
Section 206.10 of the Code of Federal Regulations concerning contracting with local firms and individuals for debris removal in major disasters states:
"In the expenditure of Federal funds for debris removal, distribution of supplies, reconstruction and other major disaster or emergency assistance activities which may be carried out by contract or agreement with private organizations, firms, or individuals, preference shall be given, to the extent feasible and practicable, to those organizations, firms, and individuals residing or doing business primarily in the area affected by such major disaster or emergency."
"Alabama workers and businesses are more than qualified to take on the task of cleaning up the areas of our state which were hit hard", Governor Bentley said. "Alabama companies and Alabama workers should be used whenever possible in the debris removal process."