MONTGOMERY, AL (WAFF) Two additional counties have been added to the federal disaster declaration that provides for assistance for workers who became unemployed as a result of the April 27 tornadoes and resulting destruction.
Alabama Department of Industrial Relations Director Tom Surtees announced Thursday that Perry and Clarke Counties are now a part of the lengthy list of counties on the federal disaster declaration.
Counties previously designated are Autauga, Bibb, Blount, Calhoun, Chambers ,Cherokee, Chilton, Choctaw, Colbert, Coosa, Cullman, DeKalb, Elmore, Etowah, Fayette, Franklin, Greene, Hale, Jackson, Jefferson, Lamar, Lauderdale, Lawrence, Limestone, Madison, Marengo, Marion, Marshall, Morgan Pickens, Shelby , St. Clair, Sumter, Talladega, Tallapoosa, Tuscaloosa, Walker, Washington, and Winston.
"In most cases, people affected by these storms will be able to receive regular unemployment compensation," said Surtees. "However, there are circumstances where regular unemployment compensation is not applicable, and that's where Disaster Unemployment Assistance comes in. If you believe you are entitled to these benefits, I urge you to file a claim to see if you are eligible."
People who may be eligible for Disaster Unemployment Assistance include the following:
- individuals who no longer have a job
- are unable to reach the place of employment
- were scheduled to start work in the major disaster area and the job no longer exists
- those who became the breadwinner or major support of the family because the head of household died
- those who cannot work because of an injury incurred during the major disaster
Self-employed individuals must provide a copy of their 2010 income tax records.
Claims can be filed through DIR's website at www.dir.alabama.gov or by calling 1-866-234-5382. The deadline to file a DUA claim is as follows:
- June 3, 2011 - Chambers, Clarke, and Perry counties.
- June 2, 2011 - Lamar, and Lauderdale counties.
- June 1, 2011 - Chilton, Coosa, Pickens, Shelby, and Talladega counties.
- May 31, 2011 - Autauga, Bibb, Blount, Calhoun, Cherokee, Choctaw, Colbert, Elmore, Etowah, Fayette, Greene, Hale, Jackson, Limestone, Madison, Marengo, Marion, Morgan, St. Clair, Sumter, Tallapoosa, Washington and Winston counties.
- May 30, 2011 - Cullman, DeKalb, Franklin, Jefferson, Lawrence, Marshall, Tuscaloosa and Walker counties.