My Take - Carbon Monoxide Detectors - WAFF-TV: News, Weather and Sports for Huntsville, AL

My Take - Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Last week, WAFF48 News reported on several people who were forced to find new places to live after dangerous levels of carbon monoxide were found in their apartments. Fortunately, the threat was discovered in time and the worst that happened was the inconvenience of having to move. But this story could have had a much more tragic ending. Carbon monoxide gas is colorless and odorless, making it nearly impossible to detect before it's too late. And homes with gas-powered appliances, fire place logs or even a garage run a greater risk of having elevated levels of it. Symptoms of exposure include headache, nausea and other flu-like symptoms, except for fever. Short-term exposure can usually be treated with oxygen, but long-term exposure can cause permanent brain injury. But as dangerous as carbon monoxide is, there is an easy way to protect you and your family. Carbon monoxide detectors can be purchased for as low as $20 dollars and are easy to use. If you don't have one already, I strongly urge you to purchase one for your home. It's a small price to pay for peace of mind. I'm Vanessa Oubre and that's my take. What's yours?

If you'd like to respond to this editorial email mytake@waff.com.  Please include your name and the name of your town in your response.

Powered by WorldNow

1414 North Memorial Parkway
Huntsville, AL 35801
256-533-4848

WAFF Is a Proud Member
of the Raycom Family of Stations


FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WAFF. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.