HUNTSVILLE, AL (WAFF) - Lawyers for Hammad Memon, the teen accused of shooting Todd Brown at Discovery Middle School, have filed a request to move Memon from the Madison County Jail to a state mental hospital.
Memon's Lawyer, Bruce Gardner, said that last Thursday the motion was entered into court last Thursday. He said that Dr. Ammar, who provides psychiatric services to the Madison County Jail recommended that Memon be transferred to a mental hospital setting.
Gardner says he hope that Judge Lynn Sherrod will have a hearing sometime this week to rule on the motion.
Memon has been in the Madison County Jail in solitary confinement since the beginning of July when Judge Lynn Sherrod ruled he should be tried as an adult.
Gardner is also appealing the decision of Memon being tried an as an adult.
15-year-old Memon is accused of shooting and killing fellow student Todd Brown in February of this year.
- Attorney visits 14-year-old accused shooter in jail
- Attny. of teen murder suspect claims client was being treated for depression, ADHD
- D.A.'s office takes on second case with 14-year-old murder suspect
- Madison sounds off on whether teen suspect should be treated as an adult
- Discovery shooting suspect transferred to jail from detention center
- Discovery Middle School shooting suspect to be tried as adult
- Tasks force meets with city leaders on school safety
- Task force to unveil "Text to Protect"