BIRMINGHAM – Samford University captured the doubles point and swept all six singles matches to earn a 7-0 win over the Jacksonville State women's tennis team on Wednesday at the Courington Tennis Pavilion. The Gamecocks fell to 0-2 on the season while the Bulldogs improved to 3-0.
JSU's lone win on the afternoon came in doubles when Martina Dessbesell and Viviane Marani defeated Taylor Morgan and Lindsey Mallory 8-6. Samford did go on to win at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles to claim the doubles point.
The Gamecocks return to the courts against Auburn University on Saturday at 1 p.m. in Auburn, Ala.
Women's Tennis Match Results
Jacksonville State vs Samford University
Feb 10, 2010 at Birmingham, Ala.
(Courington Tennis Pavilion)
Samford University 7, Jacksonville State 0
1. Taylor Morgan (SAM) def. MARANI, Viviane (JSU) 4-6, 6-2, 6-0
2. Andrie Meiring (SAM) def. DESSBESELL, Martina (JSU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Janse van Rensburg (SAM) def. FERRIS, Kimberly (JSU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Stephanie Parkison (SAM) def. WENZEL, Raphaela (JSU) 6-2, 7-5
5. Lindsey Mallory (SAM) def. FULLER, Kristen (JSU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Rebecca Kirven (SAM) def. RENESTO, Julianna (JSU) 6-4, 6-2
1. DESSBESELL, Martina/MARANI, Viviane (JSU) def. Taylor Morgan/Lindsey Mallory (SAM) 8-6
2. Andrie Meiring/Rebecca Kirven (SAM) def. FERRIS, Kimberly/LIMA, Raphaela (JSU) 8-4
3. Janse van Rensburg/Stephanie Parkison (SAM) def. FULLER, Kristen/WENZEL, Raphaela (JSU) 8-3
Jacksonville State 0-2
Samford University 3-0