If your doctor has ordered a PET/CT scan for you, browse this page for some helpful and educational information. A PET/CT scan evaluates the body to find changes in your system. In order for PET/CT scanner to get a good read on your body, there are some things a patient needs to do prior to the exam to get a good scan. The following information should be reviewed before the exam.
The exam takes about 3 hours from start to finish.
Let scheduler know if you are any of the following:
- Latex sensitive/allergic
- Need pain medication for exam
- Prior exam at another location
- Pregnant or nursing
- Avoid all caffeine and sugar for 24 hrs before your appointment. (Including fruits)
- No strenuous physical activity or exercise within 24 hours before your appointment.
- The night before your exam, eat a high protein, low sugar, low carbohydrate supper. Any meat, eggs and vegetables. (Avoid potatoes, pastas, cereals, breads, corn, peas, carrots, dairy products, fruits and sugar)
- DO NOT eat or drink anything except water 4 hours prior to your appointment. (6 hours if diabetic) Breakfast is meat, eggs, and vegetables only. (Avoid potatoes, pastas, cereals, breads, corn, peas, carrots, dairy products, fruits and sugar)
- Regular medications may be taken as prescribed.
- Drink 2 glasses of water 1 hour before your appointment.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing without metal if possible. Leave jewelry at home if possible. Wear your hearing aid, glasses and/or dentures.
IMPORTANT: A special radioisotope is ordered and delivered to the PET/CT scanner for your exam. If you are unable to keep your appointment, it is VERY IMPORTANT to cancel at least 24 hours before your scheduled exam. If you do NOT cancel and do NOT come to your exam, you will be responsible for paying the cost of the specially ordered radiotype used in the exam.
If you have any questions prior to the exam please call OMI of Decatur at (256) 350-6364.